Mitochondrial membrane potential is one of the key parameters of mitochondrial function and serves as an indicator of cell health.
JC-10 Mitochondrial Membrane Potential Assay is based upon JC-10 dye, which is a superior alternative to JC-1 dye due to its increased solubility. JC-10 shows greater solubility even at higher concentrations. JC-10 dye, like JC-1, is a cationic, lipophilic dye that gets concentrated in healthy mitochondria to form reversible red-fluorescent JC-10 aggregates (Ex/Em=540/590nm). In apoptotic cells, the mitochondrial membrane potential collapses, which results in failure to retain JC-10 dye and the dye returns to its monomeric green form (EX/Em= 490/525 nm) in the cytosol.
- Measures the membrane potential of mitochondria
- Contains JC-10 dye which is superior to JC-1 dye due to its increased solubility
- available 100 or 500 microplate assay formats.
- Compatible with microscopy and flow cytometry assay.
- Stains only live cells
- Rapid staining : 15 min-1hr
- Measures cell health by measuring the mitochondrial membrane potential
- Can be used to monitor apoptosis or check apoptotic inducers and inhibitors.