Citraconic anhydride reacts with primary amines and blocks them by creating an amide linkage and a terminal carboxylate.
Kit related to citraconic anhydride is also available [Carboxylation kit With Citraconic Anhydride]
- Reversible blocking of primary amines
- Reactive towards primary amines
- Synonym: 2-methylmaleic anhydride
- Empirical formula:C5H4O3
- CAS # 616-02-4
- Molecular weight: 112.08
- Form: Colorless to slight yellow, clear liquid
- Temporarily block amines to allow derivatization of other parts of the molecule.
- Block removed by shifting to acidic conditions (pH3-4) or treatment with hydroxylamine