Magenta-gal is used as an alternative to X-gal that produces a red color. Magenta-Gal is hydrolyzed by β-galactosidase to produce a red precipitate. This precipitate is insoluble in alcohol and xylenes, thus making it suitable for immunoblotting and immunocytochemical assays. Bacterial colonies containing active β-galactosidase produce red colonies when grown on plates containing magenta-gal.
Magenta-gal is commonly used in conjunction with IPTG for red/white screening.
- 5-Bromo-6-chloro-3-indoxyl β-D- galactopyranoside
- Magenta™-β-D-galactoside; Magenta™-β-D-Gal
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY GRADE
- Storage/Handling: Store at -15°C in a dark, dry place.
- PubChem Chemical ID: 44140954
- Synonyms: Mag-Gal, ZINC33358916, B3469, 5-Bromo-6-chloro-3-indolyl beta-D-Galactopyranoside, Y-Gal
- CAS#: 93863-88-8
- Molecular Formula: C14H15BrClNO6
- Molecular Weight: 408.63 g/mol