The Micro Bicinchoninic Acid (BCA) Protein Assay is a highly sensitive colorimetric assay that is compatible with detergent solubilized protein solutions. This modification of the Bicinchoninic Acid (BCA) Protein Assay is suitable for dilute protein samples (0.5-20µg/ml).
The Micro BCA Protein Assay primarily relies on two reactions. Firstly, the peptide bonds in the protein sample reduce Cu2+ ions, in a temperature dependent reaction, from the copper solution to Cu+. The amount of Cu2+ reduced is proportional to the amount of protein present in the solution. Next, two molecules of bicinchoninic acid chelate with each Cu+ ion, forming a purple-colored product that strongly absorbs light at a wavelength of 562nm. The assay uses concentrated solutions and extended incubation times for the detection of dilute protein samples. The amount of protein present in a solution can be quantified by measuring the absorption spectra and comparing with protein solutions with known concentrations.
The Micro BCA Protein Assay is suitable for quantifying protein solutions in 500 1ml assays or in >3,300 micro-well assays.
For information on our regular Bicinchoninic Acid (BCA) Protein Assay, click here.
For samples with reducing agents, we recommend the Bicinchoninic Acid (BCA) Reducing Agent Compatible Protein Assay.
- Sensitive, colorimetric assay for dilute protein samples
- Linear range: 0.5-20µg/ml
- Compatible with most non-ionic and ionic detergents
- For dilute protein samples (0.5-20µg/ml)
- For a quick comparison of protein estimation assays, view our Protein Assay Selection Guide Table.
- For more information a wide range of bioassays, view our Bioassays Handbook: a detailed handbook & selection guide for apoptosis assays, cytotoxicity assays, SAM methyltransferase assays, protease assays, phosphatase assays, peroxide assays & ELISA.
- For more information on protein assays, view our Protein Assay Handbook: a handbook and selection guide for introduction to and selection of protein assays, including protein estimation assays, apoptosis assays, cytotoxicity assays, SAM methyltransferase assays, protease assays, phosphatase assays & peroxide assays.