ML (Modified Lowry) Protein Assay
G-Biosciences’ ML (Modified Lowry) Protein Assay is based on the widely cited protein assay by Lowry et. al. (1951). The ML Protein Assay is compatible with a wide variety of detergents used in protein research in addition to other common reagents such as EDTA and Tris (see tables 1 and 2). The assay is supplied with either traditional bovine serum albumin (BSA) protein standard, pre-diluted BSA protein standards, non animal protein standard or bovine ɣ globulin protein standard.
A CL (Compatible Lowry) Protein Assay is available for samples containing reducing agents (such as dithiothreitol (DTT), ß-mercaptoethanol and TCEP) and a wide variety of commonly used laboratory agents that are known to interfere with Lowry’s protein assays (see tables 1 and 2).
Table-1: A selection of compounds and their maximum concentrations compatible with the ML and CL Protein Assay.
|Reagent||ML Protein Assay||CL Protein Assay|
|Laemmli Buffer (w/5% β-Mercaptoethanol)||-||Compatible|
|Octaethyleneglycol dodecyl ether||0.2%||-|
|Tris (pH 8)||0.1M||0.5M|
Table 2: ML & CL Protein Assay are compatible with strong chaotropic extraction buffers
|4M Urea, 1% SDS, 10mM EDTA, 0.8% β-Mercaptoethanol|
|6M Urea, 2M Thiourea, 4% CHAPS|
|6M Urea, 2M Thiourea, 4% NP-40|
|1% Sarcosyl, 0.8 β-Mercaptoethanol, 4M Guanidine Thiocyanate, 10mM EDTA|
|6M Urea, 2M Thiourea, 2% CHAPS, 2% ND SB 201|
|6M Urea, 2M Thiourea, 2% CHAPS, 2% SB 2 10|
- Protein quantitation in the presence of detergents
- Quick 15 minute incubation
- Increased color stability (color will not change more than 5% in 1 hour or 10% in 2 hours)
- Linear response 0.2 – 1.5 mg/ml
- One simple protocol without cumbersome sample preparation or buffer exchange steps
- Convenient kit provides all necessary reagents for 250 standard (5ml) assays or 1000 microtube (1.5-2 ml) assays
- Estimate protein during protein purification, electrophoresis, cell biology, molecular biology, and other research applications.
- Suitable for protein samples containing common laboratory agents, such as chelating agents (EDTA), detergents, amines (Tris), sugars and many other agents.
- Suitable for samples containing chaotropic agents such as urea, thiourea, guanidine hydrochloride, guanidine thiocyanate, ammonium sulfate, drugs, antibiotics, cobalt, and numerous other agents and extraction buffers.
- Suitable for determination of protein concentration in cellular fractions, tissue & cell lysates and chromatography purification fractions.
|Material Safety Data Sheet|