Tween® 20 (Polyethylene glycol sorbitan monolaurate) is a non-ionic detergent that is routinely used in biochemical and life science research. G-Biosciences provides research grade Tween® 20 in 0.5L and 1L packages (786-517, 786-518) or a highly purified and sterile Proteomic Grade Tween® 20 (DG011, DG012, DG511C, DG519C) for critical protein research. Proteomic Grade Tween® 20 is provided in glass amber vials, sealed under inert gas and certified low levels of harmful aldehydes and peroxides.
- Full Name: Polyethylene glycol sorbitan monolaurate
- Synonym: Polysorbate 20
- CAS Number: 9005-64-5
- Molecular Formula: C18H34O6•[C2H4O]w+x+y+z for w+x+y+z =20
- Molecular Weight: ~1227 (for w+x+y+z =20)
- Absorbance (215nm): 0.05 (0.05% w/v)
- Critical Micelle Concentration (CMC): ~0.06 x 10-3M (25ºC)
- Cloud Point: 76ºC
- Non-ionic detergent for solubilizing membrane proteins during isolation of membrane-protein complexes
- Ultra low concentrations of contaminating peroxides, aldehydes, salts and carbonyl compounds
Why Use Proteomic Grade Detergent Solutions?
Many commercial grade detergents contain elevated levels of sulfhydryl oxidizing agents, peroxides, salts and carbonyl compounds. The proteins that are isolated with these detergents are highly susceptible to contaminating peroxides and carbonyls. The peroxides will oxidize proteins and the carbonyl groups will form Schiff’s bases with the proteins that interfere with its structure. G-Biosciences’ Proteomic Grade Detergent Solutions contain reduced peroxides and carbonyl compounds. In addition, the detergents have less than 50µS conductivity. These detergents are offered as sterile, 10% aqueous solutions, sealed under inert gas, and are suitable for protein applications. These non-ionic detergents are suitable for isolating membrane-protein complexes. Other Proteomic Grade Detergent Solutions offered include: Triton® X-100, Triton® X-114, Brij® 35, Brij® 58, Tween® 80 and Nonidet® P-40 Substitute. A variety pack is also available, perfect for trial and optimization. The pack contains one 10ml vial of all seven proteomic grade detergents, as well as one gram samples of one of our Zwitterionic detergents (CHAPS) and one of our non-detergent sulfobetaines (NDSB 201).