CL (Compatible Lowry) Protein Assay (63 Citations)
G-Biosciences’ CL (Compatible Lowry) Protein Assay is based on the widely cited protein assay by Lowry et. al. (1951). The CL Protein Assay improves upon the traditional Lowry method to be compatible with common laboratory agents known to interfere with Lowry protein assays such as reducing agents (dithiothreitol (DTT), ß-mercaptoethanol and TCEP), detergents, chelating agents, amines, sugars, strong chaotropic buffers, salts, drugs, antibiotics, cobalt and other common laboratory agents (see tables 1 and 2). The CL Protein Assay uses G-Biosciences’ proprietary Universal Protein Precipitating Agent (UPPA™). The UPPA agent cleans the protein samples from interfering agents prior to performing colorimetric reaction. The assay is supplied with either traditional bovine serum albumin (BSA) protein standard, pre-diluted BSA protein standards, non animal protein standard or bovine ɣ globulin protein standard.
A ML (Modified Lowry) Protein Assay is available for detergent containing samples without reducing agents. The ML Protein Assay is compatible with a wide variety of detergents used in protein research in addition to other common reagents such as EDTA and Tris (see tables 1 and 2).
Table-1: A selection of compounds and their maximum concentrations compatible with the ML and CL Protein Assay.
|Reagent||ML Protein Assay||CL Protein Assay|
|Laemmli Buffer (w/5% β-Mercaptoethanol)||-||Compatible|
|Octaethyleneglycol dodecyl ether||0.2%||-|
|Tris (pH 8)||0.1M||0.5M|
-, not tested; X, not compatible; *, two washes (optional).
Table 2: ML & CL Protein Assay are compatible with strong chaotropic extraction buffers
|4M Urea, 1% SDS, 10mM EDTA, 0.8% β-Mercaptoethanol|
|6M Urea, 2M Thiourea, 4% CHAPS|
|6M Urea, 2M Thiourea, 4% NP-40|
|1% Sarcosyl, 0.8 β-Mercaptoethanol, 4M Guanidine Thiocyanate, 10mM EDTA|
|6M Urea, 2M Thiourea, 2% CHAPS, 2% ND SB 201|
|6M Urea, 2M Thiourea, 2% CHAPS, 2% SB 2 10|
- Protein quantitation in the presence of detergents and reducing agents
- Quick 15 minute incubation
- Increased color stability (color will not change more than 5% in 1 hour or 10% in 2 hours)
- Linear response 0.2 – 1.5 mg/ml
- One simple protocol without cumbersome sample preparation or buffer exchange steps
- Convenient kit provides all necessary reagents for 250 standard (5ml) assays or 1000 microtube (1.5-2 ml) assays
- Estimate protein during protein purification, electrophoresis, cell biology, molecular biology, and other research applications.
- Suitable for protein samples containing common laboratory agents, such as reducing agents, chelating agents (EDTA), detergents, amines (Tris), sugars and many other agents.
- Suitable for samples containing chaotropic agents such as urea, thiourea, guanidine hydrochloride, guanidine thiocyanate, ammonium sulfate, drugs, antibiotics, cobalt, and numerous other agents and extraction buffers.
- Suitable for determination of protein concentration in cellular fractions, tissue & cell lysates and chromatography purification fractions.
|Material Safety Data Sheet|
- Cinta, M. P. et al (2021) A disorder-related variant (E420K) of a PP2A-regulatory subunit (PPP2R5D) causes constitutively active AKT-mTOR signaling and uncoordinated cell growth. JBC. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbc.2021.100313
- Karolina, J. et al (2021) The Regulator OmpR in Yersinia enterocolitica Participates in Iron Homeostasis by Modulating Fur Level and Affecting the Expression of Genes Involved in Iron Uptake. Int. J. Mol. Sci.doi.org/10.3390/ijms22031475
- Khosbayar, L. et al (2021) Postnatal Smoke Exposure Further Increases the Hepatic Nicotine Metabolism in Prenatally Smoke Exposed Male Offspring and Is Linked with Aberrant Cyp2a5 Methylation. Int J Mol Sci. doi.org/10.3390/ijms22010164
- Labrecque, M. P. et al (2021) Cabozantinib can block growth of neuroendocrine prostate cancer patient-derived xenografts by disrupting tumor vasculature. PLoS ONE doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0245602
- Renyu, Z. et al (2021) In-Bag Dry- vs. Wet-Aged Lamb: Quality, Consumer Acceptability, Oxidative Stability and In Vitro Digestibility. Foods. doi.org/10.3390/foods10010041
- Sudha, A. et al (2021) Selenomethionine (Se-Met) Induces the Cystine/Glutamate Exchanger SLC7A11 in Cultured Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial (RPE) Cells: Implications for . Antioxidants. doi.org/10.3390/antiox10010009
- Toru, T. et al (2021) 7-Hydorxyindirubin is capable of specifically inhibiting anticancer drug-induced YB-1 nuclear translocation without showing cytotoxicity in HepG2 hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2021.01.048
- Raditya, I. et al (2020). Murine Precision-cut Intestinal Slices as a Potential Screening Tool for Antifibrotic Drugs Inflamm Bowel Dis.,doi.org/10.1093/ibd/izz329.
- Al, Rumaih, Z. et al (2020) Poxvirus-encoded TNF receptor homolog dampens inflammation and protects the host from uncontrolled lung pathology and death during respiratory infection. bioRxiv. doi.org/10.1101/2020.02.24.963520
- Ancin, M. et al (2020) Functional Improvement of Human Cardiotrophin 1 Produced in Tobacco Chloroplasts by Co-Expression with Plastid Thioredoxin m. Plants. 9:183
- Borin, Daniele. (2020) Altered microtubule structure, hemichannel localization and beating activity in cardiomyocytes expressing pathologic nuclear lamin A/C. Heliyon. 6:e03175
- Carmo, CS. et al (2020) Is dehulling of peas and faba beans necessary prior to dry fractionation for the production of protein- and starch-rich fractions? Impact on physical properties, chemical composition and techno-functional properties. Journal of Food Engineering. 278:109937
- Catia, S. C. et al (2020) Is dehulling of peas and faba beans necessary prior to dry fractionation for the production of protein- and starch-rich fractions? Impact on physical properties, chemical composition and techno-functional properties. J Food Eng. doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2020.109937
- Couto, J. et al (2020) Quantitative Proteomics Identifies Metabolic Pathways Affected by Babesia Infection and Blood Feeding in the Sialoproteome of the Vector Rhipicephalus bursa. Vaccines. 8.91
- Daniele, B. et al (2020) Altered microtubule structure, hemichannel localization and beating activity in cardiomyocytes expressing pathologic nuclear lamin A/C. Heloyon. doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e03175
- de Dios, R. et al (2020) Two paralogous EcfG σ factors hierarchically orchestrate the activation of the General Stress Response in Sphingopyxis granuli TFA. Sci Rep. 10:5177
- Deffieu, M. S. et al (2020) CRISPR-based bioengineering of the Transferrin Receptor revealed 2 a role for Rab7 in the biosynthetic secretory pathway. bioRxiv .https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.05.893206v1
- Dvorakova, M. et al (2020) Transgelin Silencing Induces Different Processes in Different Breast Cancer Cell Lines. PROTEOMICS. 20(7):1900383
- Go, H. et al (2020) Extracellular vesicle miRNA-21 is a potential biomarker for predicting chronic lung disease in premature infants. American Journal of Physiology-Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology. 318(5):L845-L851
- Iswandana, R. et al (2020) Murine Precision-cut Intestinal Slices as a Potential Screening Tool for Antifibrotic Drugs .Inflamm. Bowel Dis.doi.org/10.1093/ibd/izz329.
- Kalidasan, V. et al (2020) Twitching motility of Stenotrophomonasmaltophilia under iron limitation: In-silico, phenotypic and proteomic approaches, Virulence, 11:1, 104-112, DOI: 10.1080/21505594.2020.1713649
- Kalidasan, V. & Neela, VK. (2020) Twitching motility of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia under iron limitation: In-silico, phenotypic and proteomic approaches. Virulence. 11(1):104-112
- Karhausen, J. et al (2020) Platelets trigger perivascular mast cell degranulation to cause inflammatory responses and tissue injury. Science Advances. 6:eaay6314
- Karu, K. (2020) Quantitative Proteomic Analysis of the Central Amygdala in Neuropathic Pain Model Rats. J Proteome Res. 19(4):1592-1619
- Kobayashi, R. et al (2020) Property changes of frozen soybean curd during frozen storage in “Kori-tofu” manufacturing process. Food Hydrocolloids. 104:105714
- Landa-Galvan, H. et al (2020) Metabolic syndrome diminishes insulin-induced Akt activation and causes a redistribution of Akt-interacting proteins in cardiomyocytes. PLOS ONE. 15:e0228115
- Lavado-García, J. et al (2020) Multiplexed quantitative proteomic analysis of HEK293 provides insights of molecular changes associated to the cell density effect, transient transfection and virus-like particles production. Journal of Proteome Research. 19(3):1085-1099
- Lone, AG & Bankhead, T. (2020) The Borrelia burgdorferi VlsE Lipoprotein Prevents Antibody Binding to an Arthritis-Related Surface Antigen. Cell Reports. 30(11):3663-3670.e5
- Mattarozzi, M. et al (2020) Biostimulants applied to maize seeds modulate the enzymatic activity and metaproteome of the rhizosphere. Applied Soil Ecology. 148:103480
- Monique, V. et al (2020) Human extrahepatic and intrahepatic cholangiocyte organoids show region-specific differentiation potential and model cystic fibrosis-related bile duct disease. Sci.Rep. DOI:10.1038/s41598-020-79082-8
- Niu, J. et al (2020) Multi-omic approach provides insights into osmoregulation and osmoconformation of the crab Scylla paramamosain. Sci.Rep. DOI:10.1038/s41598-020-78351-w
- Ornelas, I. M. et al (2020) The mechanistic target of rapamycin pathway downregulates bone morphogenetic protein signaling to promote oligodendrocyte differentiation.Glia.doi.org/10.1002/glia.23776
- Parween, S. (2020) Molecular Basis of CYP19A1 Deficiency in a 46,XX Patient With R550W Mutation in POR: Expanding the PORD Phenotype. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 105(4):e1272–e1290
- Schueller, E. et al (2020) Dysregulation of histone acetylation pathways in hippocampus and frontal cortex of Alzheimer's disease patients. European Neuropsychopharmacology. 33:101-116
- Stuckel, A. J. et al (2020) Enhanced CXCR4 Expression Associates with Increased Gene Body 5-Hydroxymethylcytosine Modification but not Decreased Promoter Methylation in Colorectal Cancer. Cancers. doi.org/10.3390/cancers12030539
- Vasudevan, A. et al (2020) Single-Chromosomal Gains Can Function as Metastasis Suppressors and Promoters in Colon Cancer. Developmental Cell. 52(4):413-428.e6
- Vicente, F. et al (2020) Influence of Instant Controlled Pressure Drop (DIC) on Allergenic Potential of Tree Nuts. Molecules. 25:1742
- Yamane, T. et al (2020) Negative effects of a low-quality protein diet on wound healing via modulation of the MMP2 activity in rats. Amino Acids. doi.org/10.1007/s00726-020-02831-6
- Yang, H. et al (2020) Establishing an optimized method for the separation of low and high abundance blood plasma proteins. PeerJ Analytical Chemistry.doi.org/10.7717/peerj-achem.6
- Antony, J. et al (2019) Biochemical analyses of Dendrobium Sabin Blue PLBs during cryopreservation by vitrification. Physiol Mol Biol Plants. 1:11
- Azman, A. et al (2019) Physiological and proteomic analysis of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia grown under the iron-limited condition. Future Microbiology. 14:1417-1428
- Benedetti, F. et al (2019) Proteome analysis of Mycoplasma fermentans cultured under aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Transl med commun. 4:15
- Dang, DS. et al (2019) Inhibition of mitochondrial calcium uniporter enhances postmortem proteolysis and tenderness in beef cattle. Meat Sci. 162:108039
- Dludla, PV. et al (2019) N-Acetyl cysteine ameliorates hyperglycemia-induced cardiomyocyte toxicity by improving mitochondrial energetics and enhancing endogenous Coenzyme Q9/10 levels. Toxicology
- Faktor, J. et al (2019) Proteomics Identification and Validation of Desmocollin‐1 and Catechol‐O‐Methyltransferase as Proteins Associated with Breast Cancer Cell Migration and Metastasis. Proteomics & Systems Bio. 2019:00073
- Fonseca, PDM. et al (2019) Shotgun proteomics of Strongyloides venezuelensis infective third stage larvae: Insights into host–parasite interaction and novel targets for diagnostics. MOL BIOCHEM PARASIT. 235:111249
- González-Sánchez, ME. et al (2019) Immunization with recombinant rHc23 partially protects lambs against trickle infections by Haemonchus contortus. BMC Vet Res 15:333
- Koo, J. I. et al (2019) The Pivotal Role of Long Noncoding RNA RAB5IF in the Proliferation of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Via LGR5 Mediated β-Catenin and c-Myc Signalin. Biomolecules. doi.org/10.3390/biom9110718
- Martínez-Herrero, M. et al (2019) Membrane associated proteins of two Trichomonas gallinae clones vary with the virulence. PLOS ONE. 14(10): e0224032
- Mesmar, F. et al (2019) Clinical candidate and genistein analogue AXP107‐11 has chemoenhancing functions in pancreatic adenocarcinoma through G protein‐coupled estrogen receptor signaling. DOI: 10.1002/cam4.2581
- Nurika, I (2019) Biochemical characterization of Serpula lacrymans iron-reductase enzymes in lignocellulose breakdown. J IND MICROBIOL BIOT. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-019-02238-7
- Olías-Molero, AI. et al (2019) Early antibody response and clinical outcome in experimental canine leishmaniasis. SCI REP-UK. 9:18606
- Reyes-Ramos, AM. et al (2019) Mesenchymal Cells Support the Oncogenicity and Therapeutic Response of the Hedgehog Pathway in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. doi:10.3390/cancers11101522
- Ruigrok, M. J. R. et al (2019) The effects of oxygen concentration on cell death, anti-oxidant transcription, acute inflammation, and cell proliferation in precision-cut lung slices. Sci Rep. doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-52813-2
- Ruigrok, MJR. et al (2019) The effects of oxygen concentration on cell death, anti-oxidant transcription, acute inflammation, and cell proliferation in precision-cut lung slices. SCI REP-UK. 9:16239
- Singh, A. et al (2019) The p97–Ataxin 3 complex regulates homeostasis of the DNA damage response E3 ubiquitin ligase RNF8. EMBO J. 2019:102361
- Sivadasan, P. et al (2019) Salivary proteins from dysplastic leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma and their potential for early detection. J Proteomics.doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2019.103574
- Sudina, A. et al (2019) Two-dimensional electrophoresis protein profiles of HL-60 and CCRF-CEM cell lines treated with epigenetic modification drugs. Vol. 27 (3) :10-23
- Tete, L. (2019) Immunodetection studies to characterize the FtsHi3 protease in chloroplasts of Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Wang, M. et al (2019) Cornel Iridoid Glycoside Improves Cognitive Impairment Induced by Chronic Cerebral Hypoperfusion via Activating PI3K/Akt/GSK-3β/CREB Pathway in Rats. BEHAV BRAIN RES. 2019:112319
- Wang, X. et al (2019) Solubility variation of wheat dough proteins: A practical way to track protein behaviors in dough processing. Food chemistry. 312:126038
- Zapata-Carmona, H. et al (2019) The activation of the chymotrypsin-like activity of the proteasome is regulated by soluble adenyl cyclase/cAMP/protein kinase A pathway and required for human sperm capacitation, Molecular Human Reproduction. Molecular Human Reproduction. 25(10):587–600