JC-1 Mitochondrial Membrane Potential Assay (1 Citations)
JC-1 Mitochondrial Membrane Potential Assay comprise of lipophilic cationic fluorescent dye; 5,5,6,6’-tetrachloro-1,1’,3,3’-tetraethylbenzimi-dazoylcarbocyanine iodide (JC-1). In healthy cells, JC-1 enters the energized mitochondria and form aggregates which change the fluorescent property of JC-1 dye. JC-1 monomers exhibit green fluorescence where as the JC-1 dye aggregates also called J-aggregates show intense red fluorescence. Unhealthy or apoptotic cells have low mitochondrial membrane potential. JC-1 does not form aggregates in mitochondria’s with low membrane potential and remain in monomeric form and exhibit green fluorescence. Thus higher the ratio of red to green fluorescence, the higher is the polarization of mitochondrial membrane.
- Measures the membrane potential of mitochondria
- Contains JC-1 dye that form aggregates in mitochondria of healthy cells emitting bright red fluorescence.
- Comes 25 or 100 flow cytometry assay formats.
- Compatible with microplate or microscopy assay.
- Stains only live cells
- Stains cells in ≤ 30 min
- JC-1 Mitochondrial Membrane Potential Assay measures the mitochondrial membrane potential and serve as indicator of cell health.